- Area: 274,200 sq. km. (106,000 sq. mi.); about the size of Colorado.
- Cities: Capital–Ouagadougou (pop. 1.4 million). Other cities–Bobo-Dioulasso (490,000), Koudougou (88,000).
- Terrain: Savanna; brushy plains and scattered hills.
- Climate: Sahelian; pronounced wet and dry seasons.
- Nationality: Burkinabé
- Population (2008): 15.264 million.
- Annual growth rate (2008): 3.1%.
- Ethnic groups: 63 ethnic groups among which are Mossi (almost half of the total population), Bobo, Mande, Lobi, Fulani, Gourounsi, and Senufo.
- Religions: Traditional beliefs 20%, Muslim 55%, Christian 25%.
- Languages: French (official), Moore, Dioula, others.
- Education: Literacy (2009)–26%.
- Health: Infant mortality rate (2008)–86.02/1,000. Life expectancy (2008)–52 years.
- Work force: Agriculture–90%; industry–2.1%; commerce, services, and government–5.5%.
- GDP (2009): $6.3 billion.
- Annual growth rate (2009): 3.1%.
- Per capita income (2008): $440.
- Avg. inflation rate (2008): 10.4%.
- Natural resources: Manganese, gold, limestone, marble, phosphate, zinc, uranium.
- Agriculture (37% of GDP): Products–cotton, millet, sorghum, rice, livestock, peanuts, shea nuts, maize.
- Industry (24% of GDP): Type–mining, agricultural processing plants, brewing and bottling, light industry.
- Trade (2007): Exports–$404 million: cotton, gold, livestock, peanuts, shea nut products. Major markets–China, Singapore, Thailand, Ghana, Niger. Imports–$783 million.
- Official exchange rate: Fixed to the euro. Communaute Financiere Africaine (CFA) francs 656=1 euro (2003: approx. CFA francs 579=U.S. $1; 2005: CFA francs 534=U.S. $1; 2009: approx 451 CFA francs= U.S. $1).
- Type: Republic.
- Independence: August 5, 1960.
- Constitution: June 11, 1991.
- Branches: Executive–president (head of state and Council of Ministers) prime minister (head of government). Legislative–one chamber. Judiciary–independent.
- Subdivisions: 13 regions, 45 provinces, 351 communes.
- Political parties: Congress for Democracy and Progress (CDP), Alliance for Democracy Federation/ African Democratic Assembly (ADF/RDA), Unity for the Renaissance/Sankarist Party (UNIR/PS), Unity for the Republic (UPR), Convention of Democratic Forces of Burkina (CFD/B), and numerous other small opposition parties.
- Suffrage: Direct universal.
- Government budget (2010): $2.4 billion.
- Defense: 5.5% of government budget.